Lowcountry Headlines

 

Firefighter hurt while battling Downtown Charleston fire

Firefighter hurt while battling Downtown Charleston fire

From our News Partners at WCBD-TV:

CHARLESTON, SC - At 2:45 AM emergency personnel with the City of Charleston Fire Department, St. Andrews Fire Department, Charleston County EMS and City of Charleston Police Department were alerted to a possible structure fire in the 100 block of Bull Street.

A resident of the 10 unit row house reported smelling smoke and dialed 9-1-1. Fire personnel arrived on scene at 2:50 AM and forced entry into the vacant home and discovered the fire. Emergency crews quickly evacuated the adjacent residents and rapidly searched the vacant structure while bringing the fire under control.

The fire damage was primarily contained to the first floor of the unit, with minimal fire extension to the second and third floor through wall voids, with heavy smoke damage throughout. Adjacent units suffered minimal smoke damage. “Due to a rapid response and quick actions of fire personnel the damage was contained to one unit of this historic structure.” said Deputy Chief John Tippett. One firefighter suffered a minor shoulder injury and was treated on scene.

Members of the Fire Marshal Division investigated the fire and determined the fire originated near the stove in the kitchen of the home. The electric stove was accidentally turned “on” the previous evening and ignited the combustible materials that were stored on the stove surface. A new tenant was in the process of moving into the home but was not at the residence at the time of the fire.

Photo Credit: Digital Storm Shutterstock Approved

 

More Articles